Getting Photos ready to upload - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-25-2004, 03:43 AM
TE Newbie

Default Getting Photos ready to upload

Trying to upload my first photo. What is the best way to get my file size under the 250k limit. In photoshop I did a "save as" .jpg and selected the smallest size,but I'm still over the limit and the sky is looking choppy.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:50 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Getting Photos ready to upload

You didn't mention waht kind of software you are using. But in PS and PSP, when you "save as" there is an option tab. Click on it and select the compression ratio until you have the size about 170-190 kb. BTW, the limit is 200kb.
Good luck.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:03 AM
TE Newbie

I have windows XP and have Photoshop CS---In the "save as" .jpg I have a slider under image options from 12 high to 1 low even at low I'm still over 283k
Old 09-25-2004, 04:46 AM
TE Expert

What size in pixels is your picture. The maximum size for the longest side allow on TrekEarth is 800 pixels (the minimum size for the shortest side is 250 pixels).
Old 09-25-2004, 07:03 AM
TE Expert

Well I noticed that Trek does not allow photos to be any larger than 800 pixels wide. So that is where you start in photoshop..IMAGE...then size..with pixels options used set at 800 wide and let the height follow in proportion. Then by far the best way I have been using for years is the SAVE FOR WEB under FILE. Here you can make it any KB you want. Using 2 up from the optoins on the tabs on upper left. Your pic screen will split in half. Alright! Then look under the bars SAVE CANCEL AND DONE. They are on the upper right. Below you will see a Quality setting. Click you mouse over it and a percentage amount will open. As you slide to the right you will see your KB size on the bottom of the right screen increase and decrease. Set it jsut under 200k, then save in your TREK submit folder( I do that ) and you will be flying posting,uploading like lighting speed...well almost..
Old 09-25-2004, 07:09 AM
TE Newbie

OK that seems to work well thanks
Old 09-25-2004, 07:15 AM
TE Expert

By looking ar IMAGE size in photoshop your picture size will be shown. The pixels in your picture depends on how large you want to make it for posting. I take all myu pics at highest setting. This way you capture as much detail as possible. See the other reply regarding adjusting photos for posting so they work for Trek.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:17 AM
TE Expert

You are more than welcome!!