Pls Critique Pics that are Poor - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-30-2004, 09:54 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Pls Critique Pics that are Poor

I am writing to implore people to please critique poor pics as well as good or great pics. Too often people just skip over pics they don't like but how will people improve?

I encourage people to try to make an effort to critique at least one pic they don't like daily. It doesn't matter if you're an "advanced" amateur or not, you know what you like and that's good enough.

So please critique less good than average shots.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:12 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Pls Critique Pics that are Poor

This is a great idea and offer. Good and great pics and photographers need less critics but the poor pics and the beginners.

Critics with a little instruction showing what/how to do will help people improve themselves.

This is the first time we are on the same point with you Mr. Felipe, I hope it won't be the last time.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:19 AM
TE Newbie

Great minds think alike! I was composing a similar message in my head to post to the forums in a day or so, but you beat me to it. While I certainly appreciate the smileys and the points, and definitely want to know what I got right in a photo, it is extremely valuable to know where I could have improved the image. Whether in the composition, exposure, DoF, POV, etc., if a photo doesn't appeal to someone, it would be invaluable to get their feedback as to why.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:22 AM
TE Senior Member

The problem is that many people do not want these kinds of critiques. Some will get irate and others don't care. So in my opinion it's a waste of time to critque people who don't want them and won't appreciate them.

Anyway there are plenty of unnoticed pics in the uncritiqued gallery
Old 10-01-2004, 01:24 AM
TE Expert

Default please check the thread posted by Henk

there are other possibilities that may be better and more efficient to achieve what you mentioned...

K.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:35 AM
TE Senior Member

And that's exactly why they need to be critiqued!!! It's because there are people here that think that they can just post any old thing. It's because of the complaicency to self-police.

So by critiqueing poor pics we get to the heart of 2 big probs:
1) The people who actually want to improve will get constructive criticism.
2) The people who want "Hey nice pic!" shots only, feel uncomfortable and leave.

That seems to me like a very, very good reason to write critical critiques!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:07 PM

If people don't want to receive critiques of their pics they shouldn't post them on this site. The problem for me is that there are so many images posted now it is impossible to view them all, let alone critique. I tend only to click on images that look interesting in the thumbnail form. If I have something useful to say on an image I will say it. I will try to find something positive and not just be negative.
I have only seen one image that I could find nothing positive about and I didn't post any comments.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Alex, I agree with you wholeheartedly, and I am trying to do it from the very beginning of my being here, but at the same time I have very, very bad experiences with it. People, and in particular creative people, and in particular non-professionals and enthusiasts, use to be extremely sensitive to any criticism, use to react emotionally and do not recognise the simple truth that even totally negative critique is always meant positively (I would not bother myself with writing a critique on a picture which I don稚 consider worthy critiquing, i.e. of at least potential value.) Their reaction and sometimes collective defense of their fans push me into bad mood, I have to think about wha should I explain something what is self-understandable...
There are several kinds of criticism, which would be really useful, if accepted properly, and unfortunately there are too many kinds of inappropriate reactions to them, and all of them mean quite unpleasant experience. I don稚 want to enter into details, I just want to stress that for a normal functioning of critical dialogue the minimum generosity of all of us is inevitable. And it is missing in many cases, I am sorry to say it.