Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-19-2006, 05:12 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Why so few people shots from N America and Europe?

I think it is your specific family members and friends which should not be included as subjects. If you look through many of the portfolios on this site, you will see quite a large number of photographers whose primary interest is human subjects. I would count myself as one of those photographers.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:15 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Zig. To be honest, I would have very serious doubts as to whether anyone has successfully sued a photographer because they appeared in a photo. This, of course, is provided the shot wasn't used to sell a product or in the support of a political ideal (something which has not been touched upon here). Basicallyl, in most of the world, a person is afforded a reasonable expectation of privacy. Thinking one couldn't be observed in a public area is not a reasonable expecation and would therefore not be covered. Quite honestly, I think your friends are worried about urban myths more than anything else.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:02 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Francis,
Well, I don't know about North America and the rest of Europe, but in Bulgaria where I live and as far as I know in all ex-communist countries people are SCARED to be photographed. By description "Fear" is an unpleasant feeling of perceived risk or danger, whether it be real or imagined. This unpleasant feeling makes them bad portrait objects. I have the perfect example <a Href="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Bulgaria/photo318361.htm">here</a> Just look at her eyes and you will get the answer of you question.
Cheers,
Ben
Old 08-30-2006, 09:34 AM
TE Expert

Hi Ben,
Thank you for your kind answer. With all due respect, I looked at your pic and the sun is so much in the old gal's eyes I can't tell if she's frightened, laughing or having gas pains! That is not a good example of post soviet/communist fear. And we get lots of very close-up, honest portraits from Poland (Bantonbuju), no problem at all.
No. I'll tell you what, I have at times really pi--ed peole off by snatching a picture of them and their looks in those shots are murderous and angry; I tend not to show those, for obvious reasons...;o)