Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-11-2006, 06:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Trash Photos and Junk Shots and More Rubbish

Hi Francis,
I am not sure how you were reading my comment but it wasn't said in a bitter spirit at all, and it certainly wasn't directed at you. I'm re-reading it and trying to imagine what you thought I was saying. I'll try to rephrase -- the people who take the time out to comment on the photos that are not instant winners are usually the people whose critiques are the most meaningful. When a photo is a winner, people's comments are not so incisive -- just "Great photo!" and so on. Which is nice, really nice to hear. But not so helpful from an aesthetic viewpoint. I appreciate when people bother to comment on the odder, less popular photos, even when they're simply saying why they think it doesn't work.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:45 AM
TE Expert

Hi Pup-san, I just got back from Hanoi a few hours - ignoring the internet for a week... Sorry if I flew off at you like that. Your clarification I can only agree with anyway, thanks for that.
Post more, though, ok?

All the best, -F
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM
TE Newbie

interesting debate. its been a while since i looked in this forum..

re the story thing, perhaps a better idea would be to post a 'highlight' frame in TE, then in the description a link to a gallery with all the images grouped together.
for the more adventurous among us, theres software easily available to do slideshow presentations a la Magnum in Motion.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:13 AM
TE Junior Member

I don't know... maybe it's because the concept of photo series has never appealed to me that much, or maybe it's that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I don't see why a one panel photo can't convey a story as effectively as number of them can. I mean sure, it's not easy, but it can be done.

I can't help but think that everyone has seen these kind of shots where a combination of subject and background clearly allows the viewer to fill in the gaps. And in the "right" way, meaning to understand what was going on at the time of the shot, outside of the influence of the photographer (ie, the big smile)

An example I've been very impressed with is at this link, but a pain to get to, as it's a number of different photos in flash.

http://www.emiliomorenatti.com/newfront.html

Click on the word "afghanistan", then hit next along to pic #22. I suppose you could say that the whole presentation on that site IS a series, but to my mind, most any single shot works well as a stand alone story. And that one drags you by the nose to a conclusion all by itself. Nearly makes me want to delete everything I've ever taken.

I'm not saying that most of us are capable of willfully producing this kind of result, but - could we get there? Could some of you?