Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-22-2005, 09:40 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Progress Report

very good point Curtis...

I think that first of all one should enjoy photography and one should decide which type of photo is best suited for everyone.

I enjoyed a lot shooting at people, engaged in different type of activities. But as Rinie mentioned, I normally work at a office, 12 hours a day, I leave the office to go to University for 4 more hours, and when I get home it is too late that there is no time for any photographic session... :(

Also in my country, as they have been cases of kidnapping the people are really sensitive, and if you appear with a camera shooting with no apparent reason, you are considered a pervert, a bandit, a kidnapper or something similar.

This is a very serious issue, in these days a friend was shooting on the streets and he was caught by the police. He was jailed for two hours and was interrogated WHY he was taking pictures on the streets. To have information of probable victims? Places?

This is something to be considered very seriously, and depends on the place you live in.

So my opportunities are rare, limited to weekends mainly...I try to shoot at events, like carnival fests, etc etc

But I see that, we westerners have a tendency to overvaluate the pictures which seem exotic, and we usually consider great photographers to the ones that simply make a portrait of someone exotic. This usually can be seen by the "responses" triggered within everyone and easily seen checking the points (a common association).

On the other hand, if you decide to take this kind of pictures in western countries, the pictures do not seem to be "recognized" as pictures with some value. They are considered common, simple and with no special attractive. You fall on the dark side of points as Luko mentioned, and as no reward is waiting for you, you give up taking this kind of shots...

I personally decided to continue changing my motifs. My botes series were well rewarded...but I decided not to post for some time regarding boats...I will post different things, to make an effort to be able to progress. But of course it is a personal decision. Everything is fine if you enjoy it.

Be well;

K.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Are we ashamed of ourselves?

To Rinie_Hoff

努hen I compare for instance the dances in Indonesia, with absolute refinement, and I compare it with the folkloristic clog dances in the Netherlands, there is hardly any comparison possible

I know what you mean. But who knows to some Indonesians they find their dances boring and some of the western countries lively and joyful. That prejudice is the one I知 trying to break in my own mind also. I feel that the way we diminish our own traditions and culture, is something like a prolonged teenage crisis. Eheheh.

The one when we reject what痴 related with our parents and their generation, like clothes and music. But in this case we never appease that rage against what痴 older and represent what痴 traditional in our own environment. It goes on and in fact diminishes ourselves as persons and as culture.

If we value, treasure and admire our castles and palaces why can稚 we do the same from what痴 left from the real people from those times, like the traditional dances for example. I知 saying this but I知 pretty much in the same boat as you. In fact I知 thinking out loud.

塗aving time

This is important. But why can稚 we use one weekend to try to take these shots, instead of going to visit some tourist place? I致e done this and it痴 quite interesting. Even if the huge masses of commuters are not present there痴 always some which pass by there and produce good photos. And I usually find some nice details and beautiful things to look which are not noticed in the daily life passes.

都hy

As much as the aggressive, or less cooperative attitude the westerns have regarding being photographed, or in some countries the laws, I think it痴 our own personal shyness which limit us to take more western daily life photos. In many cases it痴 us who build barriers towards the others in first place. It happens to me too, I recognize and it痴 hard to overcome. But I wish I値l be able to do it.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:45 PM

To RandomCameraGuy

祢'll be crossing over to the other side and taking Asia shots for the next little while

TRAITOR! ;-)
Old 02-23-2005, 03:45 PM

To cgrindahl

That security paranoia and persecution about photographers is something getting serious here too, and I understand what you mean. And it痴 in fact the newest import from the U.S... Private securities everywhere watching for rules they don稚 know how to justify. Rules without any sense, and dictated by people just because they have the power to dictate them It痴 the totalitarian power of 撤rivate Property arriving Sorry for the revolutionary speech

溺y experience has been that one must work very hard to receive attention for photos that aren't in some way exotic.

But of course the way you capture them is also important. What I like in the western daily life photos is that you get a more creative freedom. If you池e going to present something people know well, than you must make an effort to present it in a different way. It forces you to look differently at things and try new ideas. Unusual framings, different work on the colors, tones, exposures, and the most important of all, what痴 the message you wish to pass with that photo. That will not only provide you the note, but also influence the way you値l take the photo.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 PM

To kikvel

典hey are considered common, simple and with no special attractive.

Indeed that happens. That痴 why some more creativity and experimentation is important as I referred above. These exercises are even a good way to enhance our creative skills.

的 personally decided to continue changing my motifs.

My option too, even if regularly return to some motives which I like and are also well 途ewarded here in TE. There痴 nothing worse than boredom.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:18 PM
TE Junior Member

I could not read the whole comments and replies, but I found it's very interesting discussion.
I think majority of members in TE is westerners, that's why maybe the orientals, like India, china, cambodia etc attract them, looks exotic maybe ? it's simple I think, because they are different with them.

while like me, an asia (I am an Indonesian) living in a western country, so I am fascinated with the westerner life, whose living different with mine. you could see in some of my photos about people in europe. there are more, for my private collection.

Of course I value also my culture, my people, I take photos of them too while I am back home. But I felt that there are already plenty here in TE, so I share them in another forum, or for my collection only.

just my two cents :)
cessy
Old 03-13-2005, 12:44 AM
TE Junior Member

I'm just a beginner when it comes to taking portraits. I'm not sure why, but for some reason it IS easier to request a photo when there is a language barrier. It seems like when it's obvious that you aren't local, out of your element, that people are more accepting that you want to capture all the facets of what you're experiencing.

People down the street want to know why. Why do you want my picture? What are you going to do with it? Who are you anyway? Personally, I don't know if I have any good answers to those questions that would appease a suspicious subject.

As said, conflict isn't an easy thing to jump into, especially when the photo you want isn't about conflict. It becomes too intimate. When you feel separated from your environment, it's easier to be detached. Usually photography is about observation, not participation. Having to deal with conflict removes that objectivity because it's all rationalized with your feelings first.

I have been trying to add a few people shots since I joined the other day, but honestly, they aren't that good! Like I said, I'm just a beginner.

Great discussion.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:57 AM
TE Newbie

Hi there Jose! Speaking as an asian myself (I'm a Filipino), I would like to see more pictures of the ordinary/mundane daily life of western and european countries. I mean, there are already more than enough postcard pics of landscapes and edifices to go around. I believe I will learn more about other countries with pictures of people doing everyday things. BTW, Jose is a very common Filipino name. Even our national hero is named Jose.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:24 AM
TE Junior Member

There are two other notable street photographers that take intown photos here on TE that will interest you Luko.

AnimeshRay

and

HomerHomer
Old 04-08-2005, 06:53 AM
TE Junior Member

Default That's what TrekLens is for

Personally, I use TE for my overseas travel and I use TL for my street photography here in the states. I think others here do that as well. I'm sure once I run out of travel photos, I'll start posting more local shots.