Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Every time you click the shutter, ...

so that "nikon" guy, the "salgado fan" it is you? hehe, thanks for suggestions there, you are everywhere
better go back to your books ;)
Old 02-09-2005, 10:13 PM
TE Junior Member

Oh oh... what have I started? Yes, yes, it's all in good spirits. Don't think I'm some crazy rock-eating anarchist. I love kittens and puppies and watching documentaries on TV and just staying in and cooking on a cold winter's night... I'm kind of frail and skinny and scared of flying or phoning in to order food because talking to the stranger at the restaurant makes me shy... I get a lot of books out of the library... I don't have any piercings... not that there's anything wrong with that...

It was supposed to be a rallying cry for the timid artist AND it was kind of tongue-in-cheek. You can read my reply to Gal, who also seemed to take exception to the phrase... I can't think why...
Old 02-09-2005, 10:23 PM
TE Expert

Lisan, is ok, everything is crystal clear.

good you do not have piercings! (just kidding)

=D
Old 02-09-2005, 11:04 PM
TE Expert

Pup...you're so sweet. I won't get in the discussion if the Fondue-eater deserves more points than the Poutine lover. If you had been here for (more) than a while, you would have probably noticed that I'm as much Swiss as you are Ethiopian. That's how life goes.

Now, I was NOT declaring you some kind of "intifada" war with my last comment. For sure I throw stones to my work colleagues (f* sharks!) every day, but that was not intended to you. That's simply because they start it. Not me!!!

But,... SINCE you seem to carry a certain dose of anger in you heart, and that it SEEMS to ask for someone (my humble person) to pour upon, I unfortunately have to specify one or to two things to you.

1.) There's no point in bringing "art" to the discussion. Photography is not an artistic expression. Period. ( if you want to get in the debate of what art is or is not, please prepare yourself to spend the rest of your life trying to justify a completely abstract notion). There is no point in constructing a scenery where a supposed "Artistic view of the world" would counterbalance the mass,mediocred, uniformed view of our planet.

Do you feel as belonging to an elite? Well pup, define yourself. I would LOVE to know HOW you're better than the rest of us, the mass. I would LOVE, also, to be ABOVE all these useless, tasteless people. I'm all ears.

2.) Kundera has once written a very interesting book called "The Unbearable Lightness of Being". Read it! (again, perhaps). I'm pretty much sure that if you understand what you'll be reading that you'll think (and write) beyond kitsch and shit.

3.) Now, the main issue in all this...Austin Powers. You've been posting some very interesting (actually, interesting in the sense that they're different from the usual TE stuff) "street" photos. But..please reassure me...you don't really have the pretention to think that your photos discard themselves from the masses, do you? Because let me tell you something. Apart from what you personally want to express, a landscape photograph is just what it is (a point of view). As well as a pic taken in a subway. Don't try to put your POV above the mass down under..because the mass might, very probably, come back running to f* you.

4.) Now, if you're able to DISTIGUINSH yourself from the plebe...accept my apologies. A genious is a genious. But that is not the same thing as being just different or expressing an (so to say) original POV.

Stay well, peace&love, all the best, my deepest admiration
Yours Switzerfully
Gal
Old 02-09-2005, 11:53 PM
TE Junior Member

1) Photography is not art: a debatable point. But not one that I can argue because I simply don't have enough knowledge and resources to back me up, and even if I did, I would still be debating something unprovable.

1a) Do I think I'm one of the elite? Good question; I'm not really sure. I judge things to be in "good taste" or "bad taste" as much as any other middle-class Torontonian, probably, while recognizing that it's all relative anyway.

2) Silly, that quote was from The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

3) It was because of that sunset comment, wasn't it? That was a snotty comment, I have to agree. Sometimes I'm like that. About sunsets: I don't "get" it. I am always surprised at how popular landscapes tend to be on TE. I find they start to look quite similar to one another after a while. Not to say they have no value but apart from the odd photo, they don't do much for me. Which is what I have no doubt many people say about my photos or photos like the ones I take. I don't find that an offensive thought, that people might find my pictures banal or repetitious... who am I to say whether they are or not? I can only try to make my peace with the photos because they are my creation. I know that sounds pretentious but it's completely true. I don't love what I do all the time; in fact I find much of my stuff pretty mediocre. So -- I find their stuff mediocre; I find my stuff mediocre. There is a certain egalitarianism there. I hope that also addresses point 4.

Finally, if you have detected a whiff of arrogance, let me say that I don't deny it, nor am I proud of it (but nor do I think it's the end of the world); but if I didn't have one shred of arrogance to counteract the overwhelming self-doubt I feel about my own abilities, I probably wouldn't be posting at all. So I hold on to that tiny shred of arrogance; it helps keep me afloat. Now if you want to take issue with that, go ahead: if you have attained some sort of peace with yourself and the world and can help me onto that path, please do. But if you yourself are in possession of a bit of arrogance, I can only say, people in glass houses...

Yours poutinefully,
Pup
Old 02-10-2005, 12:21 AM
TE Expert

I'm falling in love with you. I really am Pup! No arrogance, and no irony. You're starting to make sense to me. So we're ALL mediocres. Ok. So we've done our communist's re-education camp. The world (the others) is baaaad. We are baaaad. How can we join the hurd without loosing OURSELVES?

Pup.... Keep it coming!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Default New subject head to avoid more dots

You crack me up. Are you really falling in love with me? Are you being ironic? Help!

No no, I don't think we're ALL mediocre. I mean, I see genius in the work of some people. But I don't think this genius is absolute. But I just don't know. My rational capabilities are dwindling and I feel like a dog chasing its own tail.

OK, how can we join the herd without losing ourselves? Aren't we already the herd? If we're not, why do we want to join them? What? Who? I'm not up for this...

My point is and was: see in the work of others what you like, what you really really like (well I'll tell you what I like, what I really really like). If fame and fortune is your thing and you feel no particular allegiance to your own vision, then go for it... try to replicate what you see. If you have some vision that you feel is your own and doesn't seem to win you lots of smileys (as it were) then just work at refining that, make it the best you feel it can be by whatever standards you choose to judge it by.

I don't know... I'm not sure I've answered your question here... I'm not sure what your question was... my head's swimming... did you put something in my drink?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:57 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: New subject head to avoid more dots

;o) you've made your point. I was in fact trying to make you drink a very special homemade cocktail, but I guess you still have your mum's voice in your souvenirs telling you "Lisan, never accept candies from strangers!". You've learnt your lesson well, Pup.

I wasn't being ironic. I really like you ;o)). Now, take care of yourself down there in Mexico. Come back soon and alive. Enjoy the fajitas.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:07 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: New subject head to avoid more dots

and get back a sombrero :)
Old 03-08-2005, 09:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Having only recently purchased my new camera and lens, I am afraid I am guilty of usually only thinking of TE when I take a photo. Take for instance my most recent trip to S.America. I shot almost no churches, buildings, or landscape and focused only on people and portraits of people. Before I went, I was heavily influenced by Manny's works and therefore used my telephoto lens 70% of the time. Now that I have returned, looked at my photos and have had time to reflect, I discovered that while many are very attractive to look at, I really limited myself to what I shot. I wish now that I took more intimate photos such as Claude does...but that also brings about another problem of mimicking.

When I was on the road, every shot I clicked, I asked myself is this TE worthy. Is that a bad thing? Maybe not for someone who is starting off, but I'm sure as my photography skills increased, that thought would probably limit me rather than help me. There are hundreds of TE shots that are engrained in my memory, their composition, color, and DOF. When I go out and take my own photos, I often see the same elements and attempt to take a similar shot inorder to score higher. This is all done on a subconcious level though. I don't really think "Luko has a shot like this, let me see if I can get a similar result."

I need to start taking more experimental shots and compositions.