To Miks: Lens and exposure - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM

Default To Miks: Lens and exposure

Hi,

I致e used the kit lens of the 350D, the ef-s 18-55 3.5/5.6.

Regarding the exposure range you致e mentioned this is the advantage of taking photos in Raw format and using a good raw converter like RawShooter Premium. The control over the exposure is incredible when compared with a jpeg file.

I agree that the perspective is not very original, but without the authorization to use a tripod, one gets very limited in the compositions that can be made. Basically I always have to use the columns and benches as a support, so the framings are usually similar. :-(
Old 02-13-2007, 01:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Miks: Lens and exposure

Wauw. I'm amazed that this is the product of the kit lens. Not to mention the fact that it was shot without a tripod. Most impressive.

Cheers,
Mikkel

PS: This may just have convinced me to start shooting in RAW for more than 'special ocassions'. I'm really impatient with the postproccssing workflow. But I guess I have to start dealing with it...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: To Miks: Lens and exposure

Well, the kit lens does have some limitations even if it can produce nice images, and it took me some time to take out the best of it. The sharpness in the corners is usually poor and to minimize that problem I have to use a higher f number, which by its turn increases the shutter time A dilemma

To be true, when I shoot interiors without a tripod it痴 like having an asthma attack! To steady the camera I have to use all available tricks, and the most important one is not to breed when pressing the shutter ;-)

Regarding the raw processing it痴 indeed annoying, and I would prefer I could shoot jpeg. But as the lens has a lot of limitations, and I have to use iso痴 up to 400 in extreme cases I have to search all the possibilities to increase the quality of the final image. And raw allows that.

Still, with a good raw converter you can make a lot of PP at the conversion moment, and save only the minor things for the tif or jpeg file unless you want to go 殿rtistic.