To SnapRJW: Ecclesiastes....... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great SnapRJW 2015-02-21 22:50

Hello John - The winter light and starkness of the trees is a combination that works exceptionally well here. The mood is somber and perfectly fitting for the subject. Here in the silent necropolis life doesn't exist, dreams and hopes lay buried beneath snow and soil. Your shot seems to encapsulate this verse from Ecclesiastes

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.

And on that note... have a pleasant Sunday!

Warm regards

Rosemary

Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
TE Expert

Default To SnapRJW: Ecclesiastes.......

Hi Rosemary,

Thank you for your kind words about this one!

Oh, dear, I don't think I've ever quite managed to get my head around the book of Ecclesiastes. I've often read bits of it and, on one occasion, I actually read it in full from beginning to end. It's just so depressing. I mean, did you ever hear or read anything more depressing than this from the beginning of Chapter 4:

"And I declared that the dead, who had already died,
are happier than the living, who are still alive.
But better than both is the one who has never been born...
"

Perhaps I've been missing the point all these years but I think the Bible has many more inspiring and happier parts than Ecclesiastes.

Have a lovely Sunday,

John.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:16 PM
TE Expert

Default Ecclesiastes

Yes John - the book is rather depressing isn't it. You might be interested in reading this exposition: http://www.bethinking.org/is-there-m...ing-to-meaning which gives a hint at the intended meaning.

Hope all is well with you and yours

Rosemary
Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 PM
TE Expert

Default Ecclesiastes...

Now that's an interesting article, Rosemary! Of course,the Book itself does, if I remember correctly, start off by saying that it is the word of the Preacher and not the word of God, so I suppose that really puts it all into context. And now I've also learned that it may well have been written by Solomon himself - and he was a pretty bright sort of a bloke - no flies on him.

So, Rosemary, thank you for sending me on that reference - very enlightening - and I shall now read Ecclesiastes better informed as a result.

Take Care.

Kind Regards,

John.