To tyro: Tilt - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2015-01-28 5:44

Hello Rosemary,

An interesting note and a very fine and graphic photograph to accompany it. Personally, I have no objection to, and welcome, the inclusion of women into the see of the Anglican Church - or any other church, for that matter. I think it all depends upon your own conception of religion and how you perceive God: whether as a loving and caring father who is there to support and help guide you through your life; or as a jealous, intolerant, vindictive and cruel being who eggs you on to carry out despicable crimes against other members of the human race. The former for me - definitely.

All a matter of perspective really - just as you have captured linear perspective so perfectly here in your photograph! The light and contrasts, as well as the tones and textures, are exceptional here as also is your composition. My only (and probably trivial) suggestion is that it might just benefit a tad from about 0.5ー counter-clockwise rotation to straighten up the wall on the left and then a quick application of the "transform" tool to "lift" the bottom right corner - that would bring the line between the roadway and the wall snugly right into the bottom right corner as well as levelling the roadway a little: just a thought. Might not work - but this is a fabulous image as it is!

Excellent!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:28 PM
TE Expert

Smile To tyro: Tilt

Hello John - yes.... the tilt. I did wonder if I should change it and probably should have but I couldn't get it quite right. Which editing program do you use? I use Lightroom/Capture NX2 in combination and that 'transform' thingamy you speak of isn't an option.

Funny old world isn't it? I'm sure female bishops can bring something positive into the church. Gert says that they have been part of Sweden's clergy for ages.

In the words of James Brown "This is a Man's World"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j76h9qxLaV8

This is a man's world
This is a man's world
But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing
Without a woman or a girl

You see man made the cars
To take us over the road
Man made the train
To carry the heavy load

Man made the electric light
To take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water
Like Noah made the ark

This is a man's, man's, man's world
But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing

Man thinks about a little bit of baby girls
And a baby boys
Man makes them happy
'Cause man makes them toys

And after man's made everything
Everything he can
You know that man makes money
To buy from other man

This is a man's world
But it wouldn't be nothing
Not one little thing

He's lost in the wilderness
He's lost in bitterness
He's lost

Read more: James Brown - It`s A Man's Man's World Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 AM
TE Expert

Default Religion, songs.....and straightening pictures...!

Hello Rosemary,

By Gosh, you seem to have a huge repertoire of poems and songs with which you are familiar! From that point of view I'm very boring and have no real knowledge of "modern" music, being much more au fait with the works of Bach, Beethoven and so on - in fact, I'm just back at my computer having been downstairs trying to practise a couple of Chopin nocturnes on my old piano.

From the point of view of differences between the sexes, I believe the differences are popularly over exaggerated. Yes, you get lousy female drivers but you get just as many equally lousy male ones. A lot of women are downright stupid but a lot of men are downright stupid as well. Physiologically, men are physically stronger and can lift heavier weights than women but women are more physically resilient and they live longer too - but that's about it. And women are generally considered emotionally more resilient than men, despite popular opinion.

Anyway, to your picture and your editing programs. I do have Lightroom but I've never used it. That's not because I don't like it - just because I bought myself a copy of Lightroom 5 when Amazon had it on offer at a slightly reduced price. And then I found that it won't work on my computer which presently runs Vista! I must say, however, that I was quite impressed with Lightroom when I was watching (Ann's) Dave working with it when we met in Sussex last year. So, now that my present (home-built) computer is six years old, I am seriously considering building another one, particularly to be able to run it on 64-bit and have access to more memory - as well as being able to use Lightroom. The dilemma, however, is what operating system to use: I've heard so many dreadful stories about Windows 8 and 8.1 so I have to decide whether to opt for Windows 7 or wait a few months and go with the new Windows 10 when it comes out. What version of Windows do you use? Or perhaps you are one of the very elite and sensible group of people who has a Mac?

So, no, I wasn't aware that Lightroom didn't have editing functions which covered rotating and transforming images. I have Photoshop Elements (version 11, though version 13 is now available) and it has those editing tools which seem to work quite well even although I'm sure that they're not nearly so sophisticated as in the full-blown version of Photoshop. I find Elements really excellent and it seems to do pretty much all I need - or am capable of using effectively! Elements is cheap too (about 」50 or 」60 here) and I know from what Ann says that she uses Lightoom to do all the light/colour/contrast editing and then imports her images into Elements for the last stages including adding frames, etc.

Anyway, to stop me blethering on forever, I've done a quick workshop for you on your picture and I shall try to upload it just now - not particularly with a view to improving your image but just to illustrate that the image can be straightened and "transformed" in Elements. So, see what you think!

Kindest Regards,

John.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM
TE Expert

Default Nicely done

Hello John - I like your WS and would like you to explain how you got the tilt right without loosing half the upper tunnel. When I tried I got the light rammed up against the top of the frame. Is this to do with the transform function?

Warm regards from a very wet (as in pouring) Windhoek to what I imagine is a very snowy Scotland

Rosemary