To SnapRJW: Ecclesiastes.......

• Hi Rosemary,

Thank you for your kind words about this one!

Oh, dear, I don't think I've ever quite managed to get my head around the book of Ecclesiastes. I've often read bits of it and, on one occasion, I actually read it in full from beginning to end. It's just so depressing. I mean, did you ever hear or read anything more depressing than this from the beginning of Chapter 4:

"And I declared that the dead, who had already died,
    are happier than the living, who are still alive.
    But better than both is the one who has never been born...
    "

Perhaps I've been missing the point all these years but I think the Bible has many more inspiring and happier parts than Ecclesiastes.

Have a lovely Sunday,

John.
  • Ecclesiastes
    Yes John - the book is rather depressing isn't it. You might be interested in reading this exposition: http://www.bethinking.org/is-there-m...ing-to-meaning which gives a hint at the intended meaning.

Hope all is well with you and yours

Rosemary
  • Ecclesiastes...
    Now that's an interesting article, Rosemary! Of course,the Book itself does, if I remember correctly, start off by saying that it is the word of the Preacher and not the word of God, so I suppose that really puts it all into context. And now I've also learned that it may well have been written by Solomon himself - and he was a pretty bright sort of a bloke - no flies on him.

So, Rosemary, thank you for sending me on that reference - very enlightening - and I shall now read Ecclesiastes better informed as a result.

Take Care.

Kind Regards,

John.