Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 02:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Default The Critique Conspiracy

I enjoy posting my pictures on TE and get a thrill when I receive critiques both positive and negative. It makes me improve on my photography, I learn from it, and it motivates me to post more.

So, do you have to be an uppidy and have some longevity, and be one of "the gang" to receive critiques? Before you tell me that I have to critique others to receive critiques on my own pictures, I know that. I have been actively critiquing other TE members' pictures in the hopes they would do so for mine. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Shouldn't it be a courtesy to critique pictures of others who have left you one?

I have seen galleries of some TE members who have mediocre pictures but yet they receive critiques from the waazoo and for the most part they are even positive ones. What gives? It's quite maddening to try so hard but yet get no respect and gratitude from other members who should have learnt courtesy during their upbringing.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me.
Cheers!

-Harjit
Old 08-31-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: The Critique Conspiracy

It is certainly more difficult to get work critiqued now, but I believe that is down more to the number of images going through the system than for any other reason. To stand much chance an image needs to have some sort of impact as a thumbnail to make it stand out from the crowd. I think if you look at your own images that have received a lot of comment you will see that to be predominantly true.
"You critique mine, I'll critique yours" is more difficult as it has the potential to create something of a closed shop. I do quite often look at the work of somebody who has critiqued my work, but if I don't see anything I want to comment on I won't submit a critique for the sake of it.
There certainly seemed to be a clique in the earlier days of TE, who would give glowing critiques which appeared to me to relate more to the photographer than the quality of the work. I have seen little evidence of that recently.
Looking at your pictures, there is currently only one that hasn't received any attention. That's a pretty good hit rate.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:21 PM
TE Newbie

Hello Harjit, I understands a little your disappointment in the way in which the persons criticize or choose the photographs to be criticized, but unfortunately the selection criteria are more emotional and cultural than "professional", moreover the barrier of the languages, the culture and even social, makes that the persons train clans, often inconciemment, it is a natural and human manner which governs our people. The coutoisy also makes that you will tend to be lenient with the people with whom you criticize the photographs. And as you will tend to comment on more as to criticize good and beautiful photograph rather than to criticize a bad photograph. A good exercise would be to criticize and give councils to the not evaluated photographs. It is in the nature of the things, and one must make with. Personally there is no time to me to come to criticize and comment on photographs on TE, therefore unconsciously I makes a selectif sorting in what I will look at (being of Portuguese origin, I look at initially the photographs of Portugal), then generally I randomly look in the pages the photographs which attracts my glance, and I comment on them, therefore I have a little the same reaction as the pluspart of the races. But I as prefer, as somebody comes to criticize my photographs by saying that I made a bad technical choice or that the composition is to be improved and proposes even a WS to me, for me it is more constructive than a smile a saying comment than it is beautiful. Cordially, Armandino
Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Harjit,

I totally 100% agree with you that. Conspiracy !!! They do exist here.
You're with "the gang" or you're not. So how is goes.
Anyway, one thing for sure ....I still enjoying this site. In terms of pictures - all pictures. No favours or specific one in "the gang".
Glad to know that I'm not alone , Harjit.
Cheers!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 PM
TE Senior Member

Default courtesy or not?

The question is "Shouldn't it be a courtesy to critique pictures of others who have left you one?"
No.
I normaly return the favour and look at someones work.
Some periods, I give random critiques, looking at the galery, or if I like a critique from someone, I look at their photo's.
But there is no way in telling if people 'return the favour' (lately they didn't).
Does it matter? Yes, because I also like a slap on the shoulder and advise on how to go on.
But, I'm also old enough to understand that for whatever reason, 'plan A' is part of my mind and that has a tendency to blur reality.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
TE Newbie

Sorry for my first intervention, but I clicked too quickly on validation instead of preview. Herewith a re-examined and corrected version (after machine translation, because my English leaves something to be desired)

I understands a little your disappointment in the way in which the persons criticize or choose the photographs to be criticized, but unfortunately the selection criteria are more emotional and cultural than "professional", moreover the barrier of the languages, the culture and even social, makes that the persons train clans, often unconsciously, it is a natural and human manner which governs our people.
The coutoisy also makes that you will tend to be lenient with the people with whom you criticize the photographs.
And as you will tend to comment on more as to criticize good and beautiful photograph rather than to criticize a bad photograph.
A good exercise would be to criticize and give councils to the not evaluated photographs.
It is in the nature of the things, and one must make with. Personally there is no time to me to come to criticize and comment on photographs on TE, therefore unconsciously I makes a selectif sorting in what I will look at (being of Portuguese origin, I look at initially the photographs of Portugal), then generally I randomly look in the pages the photographs which attracts my glance, and I comment on them, therefore I have a little the same reaction as tmost persons.
But I prefer, that somebody comes to criticize my photographs by saying that I made a bad technical choice or that the composition is to be improved and proposes even a WS to me, for me it is more constructive than a smile a saying comment than it is beautiful.

Cordially, Armandino
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: courtesy or not?

I swear about it for about half an hour every night (tonight my photo was up for for hours and had 6 views) and curse the joint and swear never to return.
Then I settle down and enjoy looking at photos of others, new people or people I admire and are in my favourites.
As for the whole courtesy and reciprocity issue. There are those who live by it and critique 50 to 100 shots a day purely to get visitors....again...doesn't bother me anymore (for long) if I like one of their shots or think I can point out an area for improvement....if not I'll leave it alone.
Enjoy yourself, hope to get some attention...participate the best you can, and learn from those who have good advice to give.
Have Fun
Mark
Old 08-31-2006, 03:50 PM
TE Senior Member

You have given 516 critiques, and received 427 points.
I have given 3387 critiques, and received 3680 points.

So your ratio for critiques given to points received is pretty much no different to mine, and as I go through the gallery of recent photos, most people seem to have the same ratio. I've certainly never felt left out or bitter about the way the system works here, so I can't see why you would feel ignored on this site.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Brendan....That is really scary....my points and given critiques match EXACTLY today! Do I win a prize or something?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 PM
TE Junior Member

Never mind...I just ruined it by critiquing one of harjuts shots here