Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 08:48 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: TWILIGHT ZONE

Cats are not pets everywhere - they may be "working cats" that need to work (catch mice, keep rats away) in return for shelter. The same goes for other animals that in one culture may be "pets" but in another "food" or "worker" (think of dogs).

I have not seen the picture of this cat, so I don't know what particular cultural aspects were associated with the picture, but regarding all cats as "domestic pets" and banning images of them for that reason alone is too simplistic.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: WHY WHY WHY??

It seems there is a resurgence of photos of animals on TE, and not every one gets deleted, maybe because no one clicked the TOS box to this effect.

for the kids, it's just your opinion, I do agree with it actually (I also think that only Wikipedia notes are cheating if one can write passibly well), but once in a while I check 10 pages in a row, and I get lucky (as a people photographer) if i see a dozen pix with people in it, half a dozen with people as subjects, and few less with kids smiling at the camera. I say, let them be......
Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 PM
TE Newbie

Well... I like cats and I wanted to post some photos but restrained myself. I think it depends really what the photo is about.
Greece is known for the streets populated with cats. Some white washed stairs, blue fence and a cat will tell us about living in a small town in Greece.
In Rome they have an issue with stray cats, if you go to see some genuin roman ruins you will surely see some genuin roman cats too.
So if the cat has a story or makes the story better, i'm for the cat. If not the cat should go... find a story.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Yes, Ioana, but a cat in a picture is not the same as the cat being the picture.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 AM
TE Newbie

You are right and I didn t see the picture so maybe it should have been removed.
What I'm meaning in fact is that we should not exclude animal photos completely, sometimes they are part of a story or a story in themselves. The cat is a common pet so it is a controversial subject, but I gave some examples in the previous message that, I think, fit in the spirit of TE. I'll even try to find one of my photos like this and post it (if I ll have the time).
Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 AM

My personal opinion is that all images submitted to TE should have some form of accompanying note as it is rare for a picture on its own to tell us much about the world.
To reply to the OP, pets, family members etc are specifically against the TOS of TE so should be removed. Many slip through the net because they aren't reported. Last time I checked there were typically over 700 images being submitted per day so it isn't reasonable to expect the mods to spot every one without help. The only way to get TE back to what it is supposed to be is for everybody to report images which they genuinely feel don't fit the TOS of the site.
I know that some people don't agree with me on this, but I'm sticking to my opinion on this one.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:15 AM
TE Junior Member

With all the cat talk, I just wanted to say, "meow"!!

How's all that working out for you?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:33 AM
TE Senior Member

Well, that's something different then hearing 'meow' from my own cat the whole day, because god..sometimes she is making me crazy.

But there is no picture of her on TE :)
Further reply maybe later, bed calls..
Old 06-12-2007, 02:42 AM
TE Newbie

I absolutely agree, it does depend on what the photograph is about: culture, history, relationships between humans and animals taking shape differently in different cultures and leading to different races of animals as a result. These aspects can be expressed in a photograph, but not (maybe?) in a studio photograph of a pretty cat.

To continue your argument... in Paris one has cemeteries where feral cats live, and I found (and photographed) the same in Cuba. And then there are cats of a type that are unique to a specific area, such as the Turkish white Van cats (with one blue and one amber eye); in Van there's even a white cat statue! So should one not be able to post a picture of the statue as well as the cat it's celebrating?

I say we should.

Marjolein
Old 06-12-2007, 03:36 AM
TE Junior Member

INDEED, INDEED, INDEED, one might want to cut thru the mustard and ask the question why Mondaychild asked the cat question in the first place...

I don't profess to hold the answer, BUT BUT BUT I noticed with some dismay that she actually has a THEME called "Turkish Cats"... YUP YUP YUP! CATS CATS CATS albeit Turkish ones!

Well, what more do we need to say than that it is pretty absurd to see such a Theme in clear contravention of the TOS TOS TOS....

No matter how long, and how streneous our Mondaychild continues to drag in unrelated stuff... her Theme, and most of the photos in it are clearly not in harmony with the TrekEARTH theme, its rules, guidelines etc.

How much clearer does it have to be spelled out?
Perhaps someone will translate this into German, so it will sink in.

Personally I suggest we say END END END!

Otherwise what is next? A Theme about TOOTHBRUSHES???

As always... ;j.