Help! Resizing kB... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-14-2003, 04:15 PM

Default Help! Resizing kB...

Bonjour,

I have a HUGE typically beginners problem!

With my "old " Fuji I got photos of about 600kB and I used PictureIt to reduce that to about 60kB with option: "Save to mail"

Now with the Fuji S602Z I get photos which are about 2500kB but the "Save to mail" doesn't work anymore for such size. My photo's which are really sharp at first, are getting very "troubled" (?) after loosing weight! ;-)

I haven't Photoshop Elenents yet... (Coming soon) Only pictureIt.
Is there another way to get my pictures about 150kB ?

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 03-14-2003, 07:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Help! Resizing kB...

Hi V,

If you are using a PC I HIGHLY recommend that you download a (Free!) copy of Irfanview (www.irfanview.com).

This is a very useful program. I use it more than any other program when dealing with my photos.

Here's the routine for sizing for TE:
Under 'File'
'Batch Conversion/Rename'
'Advanced Options'
'Preserve aspect ratio' (if you desire)
'Use resample' (better quality output)
Set either pixel or percentage size
'OK'
Add photos
'Copy input files to output directory'
Specify an output files and 'Start'

I specify a width of 800 pixels. After the program has run I go to the folder and do a single click on the file icon. That will tell me the file size.

Sometimes it's larger than Adam's limit of 150Kb (a 'tall' picture) and I have to go back and rerun using less than 800.

Irfanview is excellent for viewing thumbnails and moving/copying pictures into folders, for slide shows, for checking EXIF data, for changing file format (e.g., TIFF to Jpeg), and much more.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:16 AM
TE Expert

Instead of saving all images at the max size of 150kb, I recommend using a program which allows one to preview the image before it's saved. Then I would try different filesizes starting from the lowest, to determine what is the lowest filesize possible without introducing jpeg artifacts. People with dialup connections will have to wait much longer to view 150kb photos, compared to 60 or 70 kb ones.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:33 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Speaking as one of the 'dial-up' people...

I'd rather wait a little longer for a nice large picture than receive a small version that's difficult to see.

In fact, I just pm-ed one member to request that he repost a larger version of his contribution. It looks like a very good picture, but I can't tell for sure from a 2"x2" image.

I appreciate the concern for us technically limited, but I want to see people's work on a large scale (I'd like to be able to click and fill my 19" screen.)
Old 03-15-2003, 04:10 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Speaking as one of the 'dial-up' people...

Actually, the procedure I described has nothing to do with the dimensions of the photo (I guess I wasn't clear enough). It has to do with the memory size. In other words, given a certain dimension, what is the smallest memory (file) size one can save a jpeg and not introduce any artifacts?
Old 03-15-2003, 04:44 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Speaking as one of the 'dial-up' people...

Oh yeah, I knew that... (not ;-)
Old 03-15-2003, 02:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello Viviane,
Here is how I manage this on my little Sony DSC- P5. Pictures are taken in JPG at 1280x960, fine. Unless you want to enlarge a detail more than twice the original, I found this size ok for general photos. It gives a file of +/- 590 Kb, much larger than the screen. Than, I go on PictureGear (Sony), but any other simple photo software does it, and I reduce by 50%. It gives a final picture of +/- 90 Kb, using about three quarters of the screen, which is the size you get when you view photos on TE.
Now, the fact that you have larger files means, on top perhaps of a better definition, also that you shoot in a higher image size (2048x1536 and more), allowing you, for example to crop and enlarge generously any selected part ot the picture without loss of quality. Than, you only have to reduce more than 50% or to adjust the reduction to your selection to come to an acceptable Kb size. Not sure I'm clear, so, ready to continue this in french if you prefer. Also, I'm not sure it's the best solution, but it's simple and doesn't involve an extra JPG compression.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:44 AM

Thank you all for answering. It's nice to get clear explanations because of my English.
Now I understand (a little) more about re-sizing, you gave good tips.

I 've tried to load "irfanview" but I've messed up my PC and they're telling me I can't upload because I miss an application/octet-stream (?)

But well... I'll have a better PC soon with Photoshop Elements. I just have to be patient a little longer.

Amicalement - Viviane