To eleparc: Could you elaborate? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good eleparc 2007-11-04 15:06

i can see that you were not all that brave on this one Hugh! LOL shooting from far behind.. just in case?? I do understand for I hate snakes myself and would certainly not let one get near me closer than a 10 meter range!
Otherwise probably not your best shot recently...;-(
Eric

Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To eleparc: Could you elaborate?

Hi, Eric, not sure I get you. Well, first of all, I took this photo nine years ago. Definitely not recent. All these photos are scans from the late 80s and early 90s.

I am not afraid of snakes. The reason I was not close to this snake is because I did not want to interfere in the interaction of these people, and I was trying to capture the scene, not the just the man and the snake. Do I stood at the edge of the crowd.

But I think the photo works because of the way the man and the snake are framed by the members of the audience. That's why I posted it.

You suggest it's not a very good photo, but I'm not sure what your complaint is. Is it simply that you feel I should have been closer to the snake? It would be helpful if you could explain your thoughts and the problems with the photo as you see them. Thanks.

-Hugh
Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To eleparc: Could you elaborate?

Hi Hugh,

I usually like your work but for me this one does not work at all! Which is sthg I can understand better if you say this is an old print from the 80-90's... You did not have the same eye, i guess...

I feel like a total stranger in the scene, i am far from it, and i learn nothing from it. Ok you've got a crowd, a snake, so what? This belongs to the snapshot category for me. I am not saying that, on TE, snapshots do not get their 100 points or more ratings! and i have got names!! LOL. But whatever the ratings they get, they are still pretty lousy stuff for me and it merely reflects their owners' ability to do some good marketing and com! be reassured, that is not the case with you, you have some very good shots!

Once again, this is only reflecting my personal opinion and please do not see it as personal, just expressing my feeling and answering your question for further details. No need to jump into the freezing waters of some river close to your residence! Cheers hugh!
Eric
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi, Eric,
Well, it's too late. I jumped in the Hudson River last night. But the water wasn't cold enough yet. So I tried myself off and went home. Maybe in December . . . ;-)

No, don't worry. I don't take it personally at all. I welcome your opinion. It's just that when people say they don't like the photo or it's not that good, I just do want to try to get a sense of why the photo doesn't work and maybe how I can make it better. That's the whole reason for doing this, as you know. So I appreciate your elaboration. (Though, in your case, I guess there's nothing I can really do to make this particular photo work better for you.)

I know what you mean about the marketing, though. I see unbelievably banal photos with over 100 points. I don't think I have ever even gotten 50 points on one of my photos. Not saying I'm so great, but, in many cases, as you say, it's more about public relations than quality. That's why I don't take the points too seriously.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to converse on this subject.

See you. -Hugh
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 PM
TE Expert

i am glad the water was not freezing cold yet! do not jump in december if the water is solid!!! you may break a leg!;-)

cheers
Eric