To mkamionka: Squirrels..... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2017-11-19 11:27

Hi John,
the squirrel is captured in such a brilliant pose and so crispy sharp that it almost look as if it was not real. Standing on two legs it makes me think about those movies for children where animals pretend to be human, can talk etc.
Amazing capture. Great equipment as well!!
Fantastic play with the shallow depth of the field.
I think our squirrels in Poland are totally red, slightly different species I suppose.
Excellent work,
M

Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 AM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: Squirrels.....

Hi Mariusz,

Thank you for your kind words!

Yes, I've spoken to Malgo before about red squirrels and they are the ones you have in Poland - Sciurus vulgaris - just like this one. And Malgo has told me that in Poland they are very tame and will come up to you in parks and eat food from your hand. Here they seem to be far more timid.

I doubt if you will see red squirrels where you live because the grey squirrels (which have come from North America) are bigger and more aggressive and have caused the population of the red variety to decline drastically in Britain, largely because they compete for food and also because they carry a disease called squirrelpox which kills the red ones though doesn't seem to effect the grey ones.

Also, rather worryingly, some red squirrels now appear to be suffering from a type of leprosy - I have some pictures from this same place of red squirrels so affected and shall try to post some later.

I think you are lucky in Poland because I don't think that the grey squirrels have advanced that far yet though they are in some parts of continental Europe. And John Maenhout tells me that there are many in parts of Belgium too.

Kind Regards,

John.