To Royaldevon: Squirrels...... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2017-11-20 16:01

Hello John,

You were so lucky to get this cute, little squirrel posing for you so perfectly. He really does look to be posing with his ears aloft and his fingers touching.
I have never noticed just how long those tufts are on the ears, before. Of course, I have only once seen a red squirrel in the wild and they have always given us a wide birth whether looking for them in Scotland or in the Lake District!
The intruding pigeon was a welcome addition to your photograph for it gave a purpose to the stance of the squirrel (which you captured so sharply) and created a perfect diagonal composition.
I just love how the squirrel is focussed upon as the main character, everything else adding to the setting or the storyline but taking nothing from the star!

My warm regards,
Bev :-)

Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 AM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: Squirrels......

Hi Bev,

Thank you for your kind words about this one!

Actually, I've got quite a few pictures of red squirrels from this place but I'm not sure that everyone on TE is particularly interested in them. The trouble is that our native red squirrels are under threat, not only from grey squirrels but also from the fact that some are afflicted with a type of leprosy which, though rarely fatal, does cause them some nasty problems - I have some pictures showing that too but, as I say, I'm not sure if people here are all that interested!

But red squirrels are such cuties, aren't they? Much nicer than these horrid aggressive grey ones which some people now refer to as "tree rats"! In fact, we had a couple of grey squirrels in our garden a few years ago and they completely killed off a lovely small Japanese maple which we had by stripping the bark off it - they're horribly destructive creatures.

Anyway, thank you again for your kind remarks!

Take care.

Kind Regards,

John.