写真

Photographer's Note

St. George the capital is positioned on the island痴 southern coast on a small peninsula that has a shallow exterior bay and deep harbor. The main exports are bananas, cocoa, and nutmeg while sugar processing and rum distilling are local.

The history of St. George痴 began in 1649 when the French established a settlement due to the large sheltered harbor ideal for anchorage. In 1706 the settlement moved to the city痴 present location and was named Port Royal.
The British military sailed into Port Royal on March 3, 1762 and conquered the Grenada colony. The Treaty of Paris in 1763 gave the British control of the island. Port Royal became the seat of the Colonial Government of Grenada and the British renamed the town St. George痴 in honor of King George III. When the city was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1771, King George personally donated funds for its reconstruction. By this point St. George痴 was a major port for the trans-Atlantic slave trade and persons of African ancestry both enslaved and free soon became the majority of its inhabitants.
In 1779 the French briefly gained control of Grenada during the period of the American War of Independence. At the end of the conflict the British regained the island as a result of the 1783 Treaty of Versailles. Ten years later, in 1793, the city was hit with an epidemic of yellow fever.

St. George痴 became the capital of the newly independent nation of Grenada in 1974. Eric M. Gairy was the nation痴 first prime minister until his government was overthrown in 1979 by the Marxist New Jewel Movement led by Maurice Bishop. When Bishop developed close ties with the Cuban government and the Marxist Sandinista government in Micaragua, the U.S. became concerned about the island痴 politics.
On October 25, 1983, following Bishop痴 assassination by a political rival in the New Jewel Movement, United States President Ronald Reagan ordered 6,000 Marines to invade and secure the safety of American nationals in Grenada. U.S. forces defeated the Grenadian and Cuban soldiers who resisted the invasion and by December 1983, a new government was installed. Much of the fighting in that military campaign took place in and around St. George痴.

The city痴 population in 2012 was 82% black, 13% of mixed African and European ancestry, and about 5% East Indian and European. Distinguished landmarks in St. George痴 are the Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Presbyterian churches. Fort George, an 18th Century British fortification, is located at the tip of a promontory near the city center while Government House, the seat of the island痴 parliament, is on a slope overlooking the city.

pajaran, COSTANTINO, lucasgalodoido, sacimar has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 223
Points: 10
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Zbigniew Kalinowski (fotka) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 566 W: 9 N: 1520] (6769)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH