写真

Photographer's Note

Hello after the weekend!

Jarosウaw is a town in south-eastern Poland, situated in the Subcarpathian Voivodeship . It is the capital of Jarosウaw County.

The city was established on 1031 by the Yaroslav the Wise, a grand prince of Kievan Rus'. It was granted Magdeburg rights by Polish prince Wウadysウaw Opolczyk in 1375.

The city quickly developed as important trade centre and a port on the San river, reaching the period of its greatest prosperity in 16th and 17th century, with trade routes linking Silesia with Ruthenia and Gdask with Hungary coming through it and merchants from such distant countries as Spain, England, Finland, Armenia and Persia arriving at the annual three-week-long fair on the feast of the Assumption. In 1574 a Jesuit college was established in Jarosウaw.

In the 1590s Tatars from the Ottoman Empire pillaged the surrounding countryside. (See Moldavian Magnate Wars, The Magnate Wars (1593–1617), Causes.) They were unable to overcome the city's fortifications, but their raids started to diminish the city's economic strength and importance. Outbreaks of bubonic plague in the 1620s and the Swedish The Deluge in 1655-60 further undermined its prominence. In the Great Northern War of 1700-21 the region was repeatedly pillaged by Russian, Saxon and Swedish armies, causing the city to decline further.

In the mid-eighteenth century, Roman Catholics constituted 53.7% of the population, members of the Greek Catholic Church 23.9%, and Jews 22.3%.

Jarosウaw was under Austrian rule from the First Partition of Poland in 1772 until Poland regained independence in 1918. After the Second World War the city remained part of Poland. Poland's communist government expelled most of Jarosウaw's Ukrainian population, at first to Soviet territories and later to territories transferred from Germany to Poland in 1944-45.


Konkatedralna Orthodox church. Transfiguration - is located in the former castle owners of the city, which in the 2nd half of the seventeenth century fell into disrepair until he has been scrapped. The church was built between 1717-1749 by the foundation townspeople Jaroslaw - Elijah and Pelagia Wapiskich. Originally a single nave, rebuilt in the years 1911-1912 in the style of pseudobizantyjskim according to the design engineer. Mieczysウawa Dobrzaskiego; extended by aisles, pediment sculpture of Lviv artists Orkasiewicza and choir. Of particular note in the church deserves placed in the side altar of the seventeenth - century icon with the image of Our Lady called the Gate of Mercy. Icon was considered miraculous by Pope Pius VI in 1779, and in 1996 solemnly crowned. In 2010, the interior of the church has been enriched with baroque iconostasis brought from the Provincial Heritage Depot Moving in Lancut.

Photo Information
Viewed: 814
Points: 54
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Krzysztof Dera (Fis2) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 8347 W: 157 N: 13002] (113801)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH