Photographer's Note

The Church of Mother of God before Tn (in Czech Kostel Matky Bo před Tnem, also Tnsk chrm (Tn Church) or just Tn), often translated as Church of Our Lady before Tn, is a gothic church and a dominant feature of the Old Town of Prague, Czech Republic. It has been the main church of this part of the city since the 14th century. The church's towers are 80 m high and topped by four small spires.

In the 11th century, this area was occupied by a Romanesque church, which was built there for foreign merchants coming to the nearby Tn Courtyard. Later it was replaced by an early Gothic Church of Our Lady before Tn in 1256. Construction of the present church began in the 14th century in the late Gothic style under the influence of Matthias of Arras and later Peter Parler. By the beginning of the 15th century, construction was almost complete; only the towers, the gable and roof were missing. The church was controlled by Hussites for two centuries, including John of Rokycan, future archbishop of Prague, who became the church's vicar in 1427. The roof was completed in the 1450s, while the gable and northern tower were completed shortly thereafter during the reign of George of Poděbrady (14531471). His sculpture was placed on the gable, below a huge golden chalice, the symbol of the Hussites. The southern tower was not completed until 1511, under architect Matěj Rejsek.

After the lost Battle of White Mountain (1620) began the era of harsh recatholicisation (part of the Counter-Reformation). Consequently, the sculptures of "heretic king" George of Poděbrady and the chalice were removed in 1626 and replaced by a sculpture of the Virgin Mary, with a giant halo made from by melting down the chalice. In 1679 the church was struck by lightning, and the subsequent fire heavily damaged the old vault, which was later replaced by a lower baroque vault.

Renovation works carried out in 18761895 were later reversed during extensive exterior renovation works in the years 19731995. Interior renovation is still in progress.

The northern portal is a wonderful example of Gothic sculpture from the Parler workshop, with a relief depicting the Crucifixion. The main entrance is located on the church's western face, through a narrow passage between the houses in front of the church.

The early baroque altarpiece has paintings by Karel krta from around 1649. The oldest pipe organ in Prague stands inside this church. The organ was built in 1673 by Heinrich Mundt and is one of the most representative 17th-century organs in Europe.


Archivo: DSC_0063.JPG
Tamao de archivo: 10.4 MB
Tamao imagen: L (6000 x 4000)
Informacin del archivo 2
Fecha de disparo: 10/02/2017 22:09:08.00
Calidad imagen: JPEG buena
Informacin de la cmara
Dispositivo: Nikon D3300
Distancia focal: 18mm
Diafragma: f/3.5
Velocidad de obturacin: 1/60s
Sensibilidad ISO:(ISO 2800)

pajaran has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 988
Points: 8
  • None
Additional Photos by Manuel Mayorga (ManuMay) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2467 W: 253 N: 4601] (36447)
View More Pictures