写真

Photographer's Note

13 ォLos Jernimosサ was one of the most important convents in Madrid. Next to it there was the so-called Royal Room, later expanded as the Buen Retiro Palace in the times of Felipe IV. Since 1925 the church is considered a National Monument.

Its origins date back to 1464, when King Enrique IV of Trastamara founded the Monastery of Santa Mara del Paso on the banks of the Manzanares River, near El Pardo. Given the unhealthy area, the monks asked the kings for a transfer to a healthier place. Queen Isabel la Catlica granted them the current location, in 1502, closer to the Court, known since then as the Prado de San Jernimo.

The Monastery was an emblematic place of the Court, the scene of the swearing ceremonies of the heirs to the Spanish crown as princes of Asturias, from Felipe II (1528) to Isabel II (1833), as well as several Spanish Courts and ordinations Episcopalians.

The church and a cloister currently survive from the convent, behind the Prado Museum. The church is in the Gothic style. It rises on a Latin cross plan and is composed of a central nave, a transept and five chapels on each side. The monumental access staircase on Calle Alarcn was built for the wedding of Alfonso XIII and Victoria Eugenia, in 1906.

For its part, the cloister suffered a progressive deterioration throughout the 19th century and, after an agreement with the ecclesiastical authorities, it was recovered and incorporated into the Prado Museum as part of the extension designed by the architect Rafael Moneo. Due to its current external appearance, the cloister is popularly known as the ォMoneo's Cubeサ.

In 2010, the restoration work on the entire complex was completed, except for the stairs, by the architect Francisco Jurado, who recovered the previous image of the building.

--------------------------------------------------

13 ォLos Jernimosサ, fue uno de los conventos m疽 importantes de Madrid. Junto a 駘 exista el llamado Cuarto Real, luego ampliado como Palacio del Buen Retiro en tiempos de Felipe IV. Desde 1925 la iglesia es considerada Monumento Nacional.

Sus orgenes se remontan al ao 1464, cuando el rey Enrique IV de Trast疥ara fund el Monasterio de Santa Mara del Paso a orillas del ro Manzanares, cerca de El Pardo. Dada la insalubridad de la zona, los monjes solicitaron a los reyes un traslado a otro sitio m疽 saludable. La reina Isabel la Catlica les concedi el actual emplazamiento, en 1502, m疽 cercano a la Corte, conocido desde entonces como el Prado de San Jernimo.

El Monasterio fue un lugar emblem疸ico de la Corte, escenario de las ceremonias de juras de los herederos de la corona de Espaa como prncipes de Asturias, desde Felipe II (1528) hasta Isabel II (1833), as como de varias Cortes Espaolas y ordenaciones episcopales.

Del convento subsisten actualmente la iglesia y un claustro, a espaldas del Museo del Prado. La iglesia es de estilo gtico. Se levanta sobre una planta de cruz latina y est compuesta por una nave central, crucero y cinco capillas a cada lado. La monumental escalinata de acceso de la calle Alarcn fue construida para la boda de Alfonso XIII y Victoria Eugenia, en 1906.

Por su parte, el claustro sufri un progresivo deterioro a lo largo del siglo XIX y, tras un acuerdo con las autoridades eclesi疽ticas, fue recuperado e incorporado al Museo del Prado como parte de la ampliacin diseada por el arquitecto Rafael Moneo. Por su actual aspecto exterior, el claustro se conoce popularmente como el ォCubo de Moneoサ.

En 2010 se finalizaron las obras de restauracin de todo el conjunto, excepto las escaleras, por el arquitecto Francisco Jurado, que recuper la imagen anterior del edificio.

Fis2, COSTANTINO, ikeharel, PaulVDV, ChrisJ, lucasgalodoido has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8682 W: 5 N: 15679] (69926)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH